Joe and I have been trying to have a baby for over 5 years now. We have tried fertility treatments, tons of different medications, even natural and herbal methods. Everything. Nothing worked. I had finally come to terms with the fact that having our own child was just not in the cards for us. I gave up on the fertility treatments and had decided that once we had saved up enough money, we would just have to adopt.
Until last month.
We conceived on my dad's birthday, March 11 (sorry, Dad!). So as of today, I am 5 weeks and 1 day along. I went for an ultrasound last week and the doctor told me should couldn't see "the pregnancy" yet even though I had a positive test result. She said not to worry that it was probably just too soon. So she scheduled me for another ultra sound for a week later (today). I went in and she was poking around inside me with her little magical wand camera and she said "I'll look and then I'll turn the screen and show you once I'm done." Okay. So I sit there staring at the ceiling.
She turns the screen to me and says "Okay, wherever you see a black dot, that is where there is a fluid sac. It shows up black on the screen. So see? Your baby is showing up on here and is 5 weeks and 1 day along, just like you said it would be. It is perfectly healthy and looks just like it should. And so does the other one." ...... long pause ..... I asked her "The other.... huh? The other.... ovary?" and she said "No, the other baby."
O
M
G.
So at this moment I have two tiny people growing inside of me. That is so weird and exciting. I don't know what this says about me but the very first thing that went through my mind.... "I'm gonna need a bigger car." The second thing was "Joe is going to crap his pants. He is going to be so excited!"
So she hands me the very first picture of my two little peanuts. I cannot believe it. Twins! It still hasn't sunk in. I don't now how long it will take for it to sink in, but man. I am in total shock.
Joe and I are going to his parents' house tonight to show them the sonogram picture. That's all we told them. They are in for quite the shocker, too! We can't wait to tell them.
I called Joe at work and he was in a meeting so I had to wait about 15 minutes for him to call me back and it felt like hours. He called back and I told him and I could just hear the huge grin on his face. He said "Really??? This isn't just some day-late April Fools joke?" I hate April Fools and would never do that. Especially not a day late.
Funny little story from this morning. Joe ate a bowl of Captain Crunch cereal for breakfast and he gave me a kiss when he went to leave for work and the smell of his cereal breath made my stomach flip and I had to run to the bathroom to throw up. So apparently cereal breath is on my list of "trigger smells". Glad we figured that one out.

No comments:
Post a Comment